Instant Pot Carnitas Tacos Will Be An Instant Hit With Your Kids
Making tender, fall-apart pulled pork (aka. carnitas) seems like an impossible task at home, but with an Instant Pot, anything is possible. It’s like a miracle device for families.
This pork mix is super flavorful and can be used a million different ways. We like to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for another day — it’s great in quesadillas, on nachos, or stirred into a warm broth for soup. You can also create your own taco bar and give a job to each of your kids: shredding the cheese, mashing the avocado, toasting the tortillas, etc. And the best part is that everyone gets to build their perfect taco. (As if it were possible to create an unideal taco. It’s a flawless food.)
An Instant Pot
5-6 lbs Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
1/2 cup Ripe Valencia Orange Juice
1 Yellow Onion, Quartered
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Salt
1/2 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
1. Add all the spices to a small bowl, breaking up the chicken bouillon cube, then stirring to combine.
2. Cut the pork shoulder into 2-3 inch pieces. Rub all sides with the spice mix.
3. Add the orange juice and onion to the Instant Pot. Add the spiced pork and stir to coat.
4. Place the lid back on the Instant Pot, twist to lock. Ensure the pressure knob is switched to “air-tight.”
5. Set the Instant Pot to cook for 35 minutes. Allow the pot to slow release for 10 minutes before fully releasing the pressure valve.
6. Remove the pork to a medium bowl and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before pulling with two forks, discarding any large fatty bits.
7. The carnitas is ready to serve. However, if you want to add an authentic twist, set the pulled carnitas onto a baking tray and broil for 3-5 minutes until crispy.
8. Serve with anything you’d like! Our favorites are warmed tortillas with cheese, guacamole, and fresh tomatoes. Yum!
9. Freeze any leftovers with a splash of the cooking liquid.
Updated June 2022
Try these recipes as a family for a colossal cupcake, an extra-big pretzel, and an epic pizza slice — all super tasty, and surprisingly easy!
Making an extra-big pretzel to fuel extra-big adventures make seem tricky, but don't worry, it's KNOT as hard as it looks!
Yep, that's a pizza slice the size of a kid's head. Life's dream: ACHIEVED!
Ever looked at a cupcake and thought: "Hm. Looks yummy. But what if it was ENORMOUS?"